Raleigh County man sentenced for beating child - WVVA TV Bluefield Beckley WV News, Weather and Sports

Raleigh County man sentenced for beating child

Posted:

RALEIGH COUNTY (WVVA) – A man is sentenced for severely beating a three year old child.

Tommy Vance, 36, of Stanaford previously pleaded guilty to charges of child abuse resulting in serious injury and unlawful assault. 

During Thursday’s hearing, Judge Robert Burnside sentenced Vance to sentence of 2-10 years on the child abuse charge and up to five years on the unlawful assault charge. He ordered the charges to be served consecutively. 

Additionally, Vance will face a maximum of fine of $5,000.

According to the Raleigh County Sheriff's Office, on August 10, 2014, the mother of the three year old boy took the child to a medical clinic explaining that he had fallen. The child was then taken to Charleston Area Medical Center Women's and Children's Hospital. There it was discovered he had serious injuries, a lacerated liver, partially collapsed lung, bruising to the face and abdomen, and bruising to the head. Medical staff at the hospital told police the injuries are consistent with child abuse.

Once confronted, the mother admitted she had lied about a fall and informed police that Vance told her say it. The mother also stated the child was in the care of Vance at the time the injuries occurred.

“This child had the cr** kicked out of him,” said the initial physician who treated the child, Dr. Holbrook, in a statement read by Prosecuting Attorney Kristen Keller. 

During the sentencing hearing, the child’s father, Robert Lund, spoke on behalf of his son. “This was not a one time thing. I filed several domestic violence petitions due to the state the child was returned in. My child still has lasting injuries. In first grade, he fell behind due to fine motor skill problems. He had to relearn how to walk. He still has trouble walking.” 

He continued “all I want is justice for my son your honor.”

“I’m sorry I was messed up on drugs. I know it should have never happened. I’m sorry,” responded Vance during his turn to speak. 

The convict will be required to stay on the child abuse registry for a 50 year period with intense supervision following his release. 

Powered by Frankly